Government: Lincoln's Vision
"... we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
- Government of the people: While England itself had a constitutional monarchy, with a functioning representative body called the Parliament, its colonies had no representation. They were at the mercy of whatever Parliament--or the King--wanted to do. Taxation, under these circumstances, felt especially onerous.
- Government by the people: While government workers in England were fellow citizens and neighbors, governors and other representatives of the Crown, were appointed by and came from England.
- Government for the people: While Parliament tended to make legislation with the citizens of England in mind, this applied equally well to any legislation that impacted the colonies. Such legislation was made for the benefit of England.
- Government of the people: The people (or at least white men) within the united states would vote to determine their temporary representatives and administrators
- Government by the people: Government officials--administrators, employees, representatives, judges--employees would come from the pool of local citizens. They would be neighbors, insiders not outsiders.
- Government for the people: The purpose of government would be to serve the people, not the English crown or any other outside group.
We're Back: Topics to Come
- Government: Lincoln's Vision
- Government of the People: We Have Met the Enemy
- Government by the People: Our Neighbors
- Government for the People: Who's Your Customer?
- Taxes: The Necessary Good
- Spending: The Other Necessary
- Debt: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- The Earth: Sustainability Isn't Good Enough
- A Principle: We Are in This Together
- A Principle: Look for the Optimum
- A Principle: Ideology Is for Sissies
- The New Democracy: One Dollar, One Vote
- Social Security: The Big Easy
- Medicare: The Hard Truth
- Health Care: Pay to Stay Well
- Infrastructure: Our Strength and Vulnerability
- Higher Education: Stratospheric Debt
... And more. See you around. Wile E. Wonka